Thursday, December 29, 2011

Melted Snowman Cookies

Okay okay, I'm a procrastinator. Christmas is over, the presents have all been unwrapped & Santa went home, but this is still a really cute recipe considering it's still winter & New Years Eve is on it's way so I thought I would post it anyway. 

What you'll need:

    • 1 cup margarine
    • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
    • 3eggs
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Step 1Cream the margarine and add the sugar gradually. Beat until light and fluffy. 

Step 2: Add eggs one at time, mixing well after each addition.

Step 3: Mix in all other ingredients & chill dough overnight in the fridge (4 hours at least).

Step 4: After dough has been chilled, pat cookies into a circle-ish shape. They don't need to be pretty, the icing will "melt" better if there are lumpy areas. Bake at 375 F for 6-8 minutes or until they're golden brown.


Royal Icing 
    • 5 egg whites
    • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    • 6 cups confectioners sugar
I wish I had pictures but I was so focused on getting the recipe right that I didn't take any. Plus I had to tweak the recipe a lot in order for it to work for me which I reflected my above. You may have to change yours to a consistency you feel comfortable with. Mine was too thick at first so I added more vanilla & more egg whites to give it that liquidy feel. If yours is too thin, add some more powdered sugar.


Step 1: In large bowl, combine the egg whites and vanilla and beat until frothy. 
Step 2: Add the confectioners sugar gradually and mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated and mixture is shiny. NOTE: You may want to do this part by hand because mine got so thick my hand mixer started to give in. 
Step 3: Turn speed up to high and beat until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks. (For those of you who don't know...hey I didn't...peaks mean that when you dip a spoon in & pull it out, there is a little peak that sticks up after the spoon has been removed). This should take approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Add food coloring, if desired. 

Marshmallow Snowman Heads
This part is easy peasy. Just put some shortening on a plate, put a bunch of marshmallows on it & pop it in the microwave. DON'T LET THEM GET HUGE. It's tempting but seriously don't, they will turn into rocks. Just wait for them to inflate a bit & then pull them out. Make sure you have shortening on your fingers so they don't stick to you. Have fun! I know we did!




This is where I got the idea from!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!